How To Set A Workflow In ERPNext
Creating a workflow allows you to create multiple levels of approvals for a particular process in the organization. Workflow allows you to define multiple stages for the document to be reviewed and finally get approved. You can add up to many levels as per your requirements in your organization.
While setting up a workflow in the ERPNext database, all you need to do is fill the workflow conditions to enable multiple users to submit their requests and seek approvals.`
● Let’s take up a scenario wherein multiple levels of approvals are required for an overtime sheet, referring to an employee who has worked extra hours will create his timesheet.
● Now, it is required to be approved or rejected by the Department Manager first.
● It is then further required to be approved or rejected by the HR Manager for creating the salary slip thereon.
Now, let us look at the flow on how we can set up the workflow for the same.
1. Log in to ERPNext database and go to the settings tab.
2. You further have to go to the Workflow tab.
3. Then, click on the “Add Workflow” button.
4. Give your workflow a name and select the Doctype on which the workflow would be applicable on.
5. Make sure you click on the “Is Active” to make your workflow process active.
6. Now, you need to specify the different states of your workflow. For eg- The document will be in a draft state when the employee will submit it for approval. You will also have to specify the edit for that particular state would be allowed to whom.
7. Now, specify the transition rules for each of the states, and what action can be taken by whom. Along with that, you will also have to specify what the next state of the document will be.
8. After entering all the details, click the “Save” button.
Now let us see how it would work from the Employee's point of view.
1. This is the employee’s database and the employee would have to go to the Timesheet List to submit his document.
2. The employee will then have to go to the “Add Timesheet” button.
3. The employee would have to fill in the details like- hours worked, what the task was, etc.
4. The employee would then have to click the save and then the “Action” button appears, and employee can click on “Submit” from drop-down list.
5. The state of the request is now changed from “Draft” to “Approval Pending by Manager.”
Now, we’ll take a look at this request from the Department Manager’s point of view.
1. The Department Manager would receive a notification on the email. In the email, the Department Manager can select either of the two options- Approve or Reject.
Once an action is chosen, the Department Manager would be redirected to the website.
2. On the other hand, The Department Manager can see that there are approval requests from his employee on his database too.
3. After verifying the details, he can then decide which action to take- approve or reject.
4. Once approved, the state will change to “Approval Pending from HR Manager”.
Now, let us take you to the HR Manager's point of view on the same.
1. The HR Manager would also receive a notification on the email consisting of the document in an attachment and two options- Approve or Reject. Once an action is chosen, the HR Manager would be redirected to the website. He can either approve or reject from the website or can do so using the database.
2. In the database, the HR Manager can see the approval request sent to her.
3. Upon reviewing the request, she can choose from either of the actions- approve or reject.
4. Once the manager approves, the state of the request changes to Approve.
Once the higher authority in the set workflow approves the request, the status of the request changes to approve at all levels.
If it gets rejected, the state changes back to Draft.
This feature helps you create levels of approvals in your organization for a smooth process. One wouldn’t have to go door-to-door, carrying documents, in fear of losing them. That process just creates a huge hassle in the organization.
On the other hand, ERPNext is striving to make such messy processes easier and way more efficient for your organization.
Does that intrigue you? Do you wish to have such an efficient system as a solution for your problems? Reach out to the experts at Kanak Infosystems LLP. to seek the best possible solution.
✍ Expand your knowledge by reading our other related blogs on ERPNext :-
Watch Video For More Information
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published.